Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Week #4

This week I had prayed for patience (strplenje, a word that definitely needs patience), and I sure got it. I always knew to have patience with the language, but I learned more than to have patience with the language myself or the companions. I learned how to have patience. After a lesson yesterday with one of our "investigators", my companion and I learned what our investigator needed. We spent the entire time trying to explain why he needed to read the Book of Mormon, and why it's important in our lives so he could relate in his life. That didn't work. We tried to explain that the Bible is a good book, but the Book of Mormon has the fullness of the gospel. He got me when he asked if the Book of Mormon was better than the Bible. I didn't want to offend him so I said they support each other. And we kept going around and around in circles. Every lesson we have with him is like that. So after the lesson, my other companions went into and taught him (since there are 4 of us, we switch companionships so all of us work with each other {3 sestre/sisters and 1 starjesina/elder} for each of the 3 investigators. Hopefully that makes sense). My companion and I were struggling on how to explain why he needed the Book of Mormon and about 30 minutes later, we heard these screams of joy. I thought, "Shoot." And I was right. My sister companions came in and yelled, "Srđan's going to be baptized!" My first thought was Yay, but then it went into why? Why did my companion and I suffer so much while they were receiving the blessings? It's the same person! But then I learned my lesson. Everyone needs to hear the gospel from someone. That someone may not be me. That hit me hard, but then the comforting part came. "But someone needs to hear the gospel from me." So even though I won't help Srđan become baptized, I will help someone. It may not even be on my mission! I may not see one soul come unto Christ! But if I work my hardest and try to figure out how that person can come unto Christ, then God will do the rest. I need to be grateful of every single moment and then work harder the next moment. Malo po malo. Little by little. God will mold me and teach me the lessons I need to learn. I'm so grateful to be on this mission, because I know I would have never had this realization about patience without a mission. Thank you all for being my strength! And remember that God knows us so well, he won't give us any trial we can't win. For with God, all things are possible. My scripture this week is Alma 7:23; I think you can figure out why.

PS the 50th Anniversary of the Missionary Training Language Center was this past week and Elder Russel M. Nelson and Elder Jeffrey R. Holland came and spoke! What a way to regain strength!!! Volim ste!!! (Love you all!!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment