Monday, July 29, 2013

Week #79

To je to-That's that

This is it. I'm sitting here in the mission office writing my last e-mail. I have been very bipolar yesterday and today. I get really excited about home and then the next second I start crying when I think about leaving these people because of the miracles that have happened. For instance, we were walking on Korzo (the main strip) and I saw a woman who looked familiar. I called out a name to her then she turned around. She was a former English student who I have been praying to find. I hadn't been able to find her number and she wasn't answering her e-mails. So I just assumed she was gone. But then God blessed us to be at the right place at the right time. Miracle number 2, two women who we have been working with, Z and S, who have both said for some reason why they wouldn't get baptized yet, said yes this last week. October 5 is a long ways away, but it's in the Lord's time. It's the time they need. Miracle number 3, a woman who we have been doing service for, met up with us this last week to say good-bye. She was there at the open house and has watched us as missionaries and the members in our branch. A, this woman, lit up as we talked about the open house. She said that she had been thinking about our religion and has been talking to her husband, her family, and her neighbors about us. And I asked her what she thought. "You have something different," she said. I then asked her if she knew anything about the Book of Mormon. A replied, "I know nothing, I'm like in the 1st grade." I explained a bit about it, then asked her if she would like one because I had one especially for her. She got so excited. When I handed her the Book of Mormon, she cradled it in her hands then pressed it to her heart. I've never seen someone care for the Book of Mormon so much. As she opened it and started reading, the Spirit came in so strongly and quickly, it almost knocked me over. We talked a little more and she said that once she got back from holiday (which starts on Wednesday), she is going to come to church and focus on learning about our church. Just now thinking about it, if we had asked her to be baptized she probably would have accepted!! I don't know why we didn't but anyways. She will. Miracle number 4, the member who we found who lives near Pula came to Rijeka and partook of the sacrament for the first time in almost 5 years. Being there with all the missionaries partaking the sacrament with him. It just felt so good. I talked to him last night and he found his old missionary tag and had a new excitement in him when he was talking about his mission. He's back. Miracle number 5 needs a background story. The first couple I met in Rijeka became my brother and sister my first two transfers. We kept a little bit of connection, the little that I could do. Then I returned back, and things had gotten really bad at their place. The husband is Bosnian and has had visa troubles and the wife is working full-time but the pay is not enough to pay for everything. And so many missionaries have come and gone, he didn't want to see me because he would get happy then just get sad when I left again. We went over to their places many times, I wrote many notes, but nothing. Then this last Friday, we were sitting down on Korzo making calls, and I look up, and there he is walking with his wife. I ran up to them. We talked for a few minutes and made plans to play basketball the next day. I couldn't believe it. I thought I would go my whole time in Rijeka and not see him again. The next day, basketball was awesome and fun. Then last night, we went to their place to have brownies and ice cream. It was so good. It still is a dream to me that it actually happened. I don't know how many prayers I have prayed for this couple, my brother and sister. And it finally came true. As we left, Sestra Palmer turned to me and said, "Now that's a way to end a night." And it was. They were the first people I met and the last I visited with. All of this has been happening because of Jesus Christ. The man who believes in 2nd chances, 3rd, 4th,...chances. The man who did everything so we could have this chance. The man who understands us so well and believes in us so he gave us this second chance so we can return to our Heavenly Father and live in happiness forever (Alma 7:11-13). This is it. This is the end. But now the beginning of the rest of my life. And as President told me in my final interview, I'm in no better position right now to begin the rest of my life. Through the habits I have learned and the strength I have gained, there's no way that I can keep Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ out of my life. It's not possible. Their love for me and my love for them will not change or go anywhere. And that love I have for you all will stay forever also. Volim vas. To je to.

No comments:

Post a Comment