Monday, November 12, 2012

Week #44


Što je bilo?-What just happened? (Phrase-literally means "What was it?")

So this week, we had a great time. We went to help a woman and her daughter pick their olive trees. It reminded me so much of last year when I was picking at Jerusalem. My memories kept flashing back to that wonderful time. It was fun to get to know them and we didn't know this before but they had talked to missionaries before and told us that when they got back to Zagreb (we were helping them at their summer home), they would go to church and see it, and they both have some time to read the Book of Mormon. Our investigator who accepted baptism the week before text us that day and summarized what she read that day. She said, "The gospel of Jesus Christ can help us with our temporal and spiritual needs now AND in the future." Her mind was blown that what we were promising her was not just for the moment, quick fix, but that she is guaranteed happiness through the gospel of Jesus Christ. We told her if she did follow Jesus Christ and did the things we told her then the blessings are there for her. It was so cool to have an investigator so excited to learn! Then two days later, we went with a senior couple sister (who has a car) to the places that are far away to get on foot, so we can use our time to the max. One of these places was a former investigator, the place reminded me of Vernal with all of the farm animals running around and the smell of money (cows, that's what my dad always said). So we knocked and there was no answer. We were about to leave when we heard this, "Hello." A woman holding onto a bloody knife in her bare, red hands comes around the corner. I instantly felt a love for her. Sestra C and Sestra T had different expressions on their face, but I loved this woman. haha (She had been dealing with some chickens before coming up to the house.) She set the knife down and welcomed us inside and washed her hands. We had some small talk and asked her about her experience with the missionaries. She said it was wonderful and she has read the Book of Mormon at least 2 times! I looked over to the couch next to me and there was a worn Book of Mormon! I was so excited. She grabbed it and we talked a little bit about her views and she spoke about how the Book of Mormon has been a friend to her and has brought peace and comfort. We talked about coming to church and she said it was difficult because she lived so far away, but she said she would try. We set up a time to meet again and prayed. After the prayer, a thought came to my mind to ask her to be baptized. My first reaction was no because she's a Croat and will talk for another 20 minutes if I bring baptism up and we needed to see other people. The impression came again and so I spoke. I wanted her to realize what she was agreeing to and asked her to come to church first, to Christ's church and the importance of that. Then I asked her to follow Christ and be baptized in His church through the proper authority. She simply stated yes. We set up a date and left. Što je bilo?!? When we left I asked my companion, "Did she just accept to be baptized?" We were just both kind of in shock and again, a miracle happened. I'm so grateful to be here right now to help these people right now. I can't believe just a few weeks ago we had maybe 3 lessons a week. Now we have two people with baptismal dates. Later that day we went with a potential investigator to a seminar about finding faith in Jesus Christ. We went because we thought she would accept us more if we went to some of her things and I was interested in this "apostle" and hear what he has to say about finding faith. I listened to him and he was saying truth, but I didn't feel the power in his words like I do from the Quorum of the 12 or Pres. Monson. When I asked the potential investigator what made him an apostle she said that he has studied the Bible for 13 years and speaks to people around the country. It was interesting to me the difference between authority in our religions. I studied more about the subject of apostle and what it means to be an apostle and then I remembered what someone said in the MTC (I think it was Elder Holland), the difference between me (Apostle) and you (apostle) is the size of the "a". I read in Romans 1:1 about Paul and he was called to be an apostle, a servant of Christ, and set apart. It hit me that all those things are me. I was set apart to be an apostle which means a special witness of Christ. Paul wasn't a member of the quorum of the 12 at that time, but he was a witness and that was the important thing. We are called to help people come closer to Christ, and it is our duty to endure to the end and help people along the way. I know life is hard in the real world, but I also know what I need to do when I get back. Do you know what you need to do? If not, I encourage you to find it. What do you need to do every day to influence that person or to become prepared to influence many people? The past two weeks have been crazy. The first 6 weeks were hard. But I know it was a test and a preparation for now and the future as I continue my mission. Keep smiling! Until next time! Volim vas.

Sa vjećnom ljubavlju,
Vaša kćer,

Sestra Kristine Jolley
Uvijek Sljedići Braće

No comments:

Post a Comment