Saturday, September 17, 2011

Week 3: Shalom!

1. Shalom means ‘peace’ in Hebrew and is given as a greeting and a good-bye. Jerusalem used to be called Yerushalom which means “city of peace”. Even though this city is known for not being peaceful, there are many examples for it being peaceful. Yes, there are many religions, and those religions are trying to claim certain holy places; many of those people from the different religions respect each other’s agency to choose and worship that religion. I’ve had many experiences already of people from Muslim to Jewish, Orthodox or not, who have expressed that as long as someone is living a good life, God will be the one who will judge—not us. Sometimes we go through life judging someone based on their religion, and we don’t look at the fruits of the person himself or herself. These people are living in their own peace with each other. Some people choose not to live in this peace and accept other’s rights to agency. Because of this I’m not living in the city of peace right now, but I’m looking forward for the day when everyone will be living in shalom.



2. SUNDAY: Tel Aviv and swimming in the Mediterranean!!!


MONDAY: Judean Wilderness, Jericho, Herod’s Winter Palace, Qilt Wadi, and St. George Monastary


TUESDAY: Classes


WEDNESDAY: Classes and walked around East Jerusalem


THURSDAY: Garden Tomb and Classes


FRIDAY: Classes and looked at different Olive wood shops


SATURDAY: Preparing to leave for Turkey on Sunday!




3. I’m not sure if one would dub this as a tender mercy, but I am sure thankful for it. This week for the first time, I went with a bunch of girls out in the city. Usually it’s a bunch of girls and at least one guy, but this time I’ve traveled the city with only girls a few times. There is a big difference. I’m soo grateful men are here at the Center. When it’s been a group of just girls, we get more male attention from locals and vendors. Now Mom, don’t get scared. It’s more like catcalls, and men coming up and telling us they love us and want to marry us. We haven’t had anything big happen thank goodness, but I just feel safer with a guy around. Even one guy with a group of three girls gets less attention than a group of ten girls. We talked about this a little bit in Relief Society today, and it’s just because we obviously don’t look like locals and we dress a bit differently, so they think our standards are different. This is why modesty is so strict over here. It’s interesting to think that I was viewed as a super modest person back at home, and here, I’m on the borderline of modest (and to some religions I’m immodest). It’s so important to know the culture of where you’re going and understand the ‘rules’. I’m glad to have these fabulous guys here at the Center to protect us.



4. My roommate, Suzy, and I have been trying to figure out how we know each other. She looked so familiar to me ever since I first saw her at Orientation, and it was bugging me soo bad!!! We then figured it out. In Provo, I went to the devotionals every Tuesday at the Marriott Center. I went through portal J pretty much every time. I like to smile and say ‘hi’ to the ushers because I know through past experience, it’s more fun when people talk to you even if it’s just a ‘hi’. Well, Suzy was the usher my freshman year for Portal J. I was so stoked to finally figure out this connection. When I told her that was me who said ‘hi’ every week, she just gave me a silenced look. (If you know Suzy, she’s not one to just be silent especially during a time of rejoicing.) I asked what’s wrong, and she told me that she thought I was her mom’s best friend’s daughter the entire year. Suzy had felt guilty every time I said ‘hi’ because she couldn’t remember my name and felt embarrassed to ask since we were supposed to know each other from our moms being best friends and all, so she always just played along and said ‘hi’ back. Well at least she doesn’t have to feel guilty any more. This may not be funny to you, but it’s HILARIOUS to me! Now I understand why she looked at me kind of funny every time during freshman year.



5. This week a group of us went to Omar’s who is an Olive wood carver. He is known around the Church because of his BEAUTIFUL carvings. They are so detailed, and he gives each of his characters expressions. Omar is also a great man. He is one of the people who has influenced me this week about judging others. He has such a great perspective of life and other people that I can’t help but loving this man. His insights were just very profound. I’ve been thinking a lot about generalizations since coming to Jerusalem especially this week since 9/11 was on Sunday. I remember when 9/11 happened and all these people being so angry towards Arabs because of what a few people did. Just because someone looks a certain way or believes in something different doesn’t mean they’re bad or strange. Yes, don’t be dumb and righteous judgment is needed for everyday common sense, but our job is not to give final judgment. That is someone else’s duty who knows their heart and knows why they did the things they did. I’m probably over killing this topic, but it’s what’s been coming up for me over and over again. Well, tomorrow I’ll be in Turkey! I’ll give you the update of how the Turkish Delight tastes like in a week!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment