Thursday, October 9, 2014

Courage to Stand



Throughout my life, I have seen the power of courage within myself and others. I've seen the courage of not knowing when all things will be made right. I've seen the courage of stopping and talking to a stranger. I've seen the courage of a mother teaching her child love and respect even though it would be easier to let her child do what the child wants. I've seen the courage of waking up earlier in the morning to do scripture study even if the night was used to study for an exam the next day. I've seen the courage of family members let a loved one pass away. I've seen many other acts of courage which will be imprinted on my heart forever. It's crazy how much influence the power of one can make.

I've been thinking about this recently of ways that I can be more courageous or I can be more uncomfortable in order to grow. My thoughts turned to my mission. During my mission, I learned to pray all the time even if I have to stop in the middle of a street and bow my head right then and there. It felt more natural to stop as a missionary because something about that name tag gives a power and safety I haven't felt any other time in my life. Now that I'm home, it's harder to find those moments to immediately show faith through prayer even though the prayers are just as needed. For instance, blessing the food before each meal. Since I'm not living with my family, it's interesting to pray for my meal no matter where I am at. But I have noticed when I don't take the time to stop and talk to my Heavenly Father even if I'm in a crowded restaurant. I'm not trying to be more spiritual than those around me. I'm not trying to boast in any sort of way, but prayer is a necessity. I need those prayers. Yes, I have a prayer constantly in my heart, but there's a power to physically stopping, taking a second, and thanking God for the moment. If Daniel in the lion's den could say a prayer in the open with no shame while facing the possibility of death (see Daniel 6:7-10), I can take a minute and talk to my Father in Heaven the deepest desires of my heart or simply thanking Him for the blessings of that day. Who knows? My physical action could be a reminder for someone else to take some time to communicate with his or her Heavenly Father. Not to mention the communication I have with God will strengthen me to help me face the rest of the day.



The power of one is an amazing power. That is why each and every one of us is important. It always makes me sad to hear about suicides, and the person believed life would be better without him or her. This is not true whatsoever. "The worth of souls is great in the sight of God" (D&C 18:10). He loves each and everyone of us. He sees the power of influencing the one (see 3 Nephi 17:21). So have the courage to influence the one even if that one is yourself. The more that you try to have the courage to do what is right, the more you will realize that you are not alone. President Monson gave a wonderful talk about having courage to stand alone when in reality you're never alone when you stand with your Father in Heaven (President Thomas S. Monson). Have the courage to stand brothers and sisters (those of my faith or not). For you never know who is watching and the impact you will have on their life. Volim vas.


No comments:

Post a Comment