Thursday, February 27, 2014

BUSY

When I talked to my dad a few weeks ago, we discussed about being busy. If you know either of us, you know that we are very busy people. We have been pretty much our entire lives. But is that really how life should be? On the mission, every night I filled my next day down to the minute, so I don't waste a second. But my dad's stake president told him that 'busy' was an acronym for 'Being Under Satan's Yoke". So as I plan each day down to the minute, am I planning it and being under Satan's yoke? Or am I planning under God's plan? Am I too busy to allow God to put people in my life who can influence me and who I can help? My dad and I talked about how there have been times in our lives where we wanted to be there for people, but there were things on the schedule and things we committed to going place to place. Therefore, we missed the opportunity being with those people. It's hard. I have noticed this especially the past month for myself. I do this every Winter semester. I see the 'available' time I have from Fall semester then add desires and wants...then overload myself. And it stinks because I want to be 150% committed to everything I do. There was a quote I once heard which has stuck with me, "The difference between involvement and commitment is like ham and eggs. The chicken is involved; the pig is committed" (Martina Navratilova). Whenever I get myself into something, I am the pig. I'm all in. But even the pig runs out of parts to give. As I was thinking about that this morning, I realized that I can't live life with nothing left to give. There will be people who come into my life who need me to give-who Heavenly Father places in my path where I need to give. I need to figure out my priorities. I need to find out what's absolutely most important in my life and not fill it with just wants. Yes, I want to play basketball all the time. I want to help with every play and musical I can. I want to continue old hobbies and start new ones. But is that really what I need to do? Maybe. Maybe not. I need to sort out my priorities (think of Ron Weasley). Figuring out priorities has always been difficulty for me because I want to just do everything. But God doesn't need me to do everything, He needs me to do the essentials: scriptures, church (including my callings), temple, strengthen relationships with family, friends, and of course Him and His Son. Now how to go about these things and fulfill other duties He wants me to do in my life? Pa neznam (well, I don't know). But I'll figure it out. It will just take some thinking, pondering, and praying. All I know for now is that I can't live life 'busy'. I can't waste a minute, but I can't be too caught up with other things in my life where I'm not available when God needs me.  President Uchtdorf gives a perfect example of someone who fits my goal.

"I think of our Lord and Exemplar, Jesus Christ, and His short life among the people of Galilee and Jerusalem. I have tried to imagine Him bustling between meetings or multitasking to get a list of urgent things accomplished.

"I can't see it.

"Instead I see the compassionate and caring Son of God purposefully living each day. When He interacted with those around Him, they felt important and loved. He knew the infinite value of the people He met. He blessed them, ministered to them. He lifted them up, healed them. He gave them the precious gift of His time" (Dieter F. Uchtdorf, "Of Regrets and Resolutions," Ensign, October 2012).

I can't compare myself with our Savior, but I'm just trying to be like him. (I hope you're singing the Primary song right now ;) ). So here's to a new resolution! We'll see how this goal pans out. This is just a thought which has been on my mind the past few weeks, and I thought to share it. Hope it gets you thinking, and hopefully you're better at prioritizing than myself. Volim vas.

No comments:

Post a Comment