Saturday, November 5, 2011

Week 10: You can have the Holy Land on your hand.

1. This last week we had some finals, and one final was about the field trips we went on. We needed to know the geography of the land, so there's a trick we learned about our hand that I will teach you now. If you put your left hand up, the knuckles and fingertips represent some of the cities in Israel while in between the fingers represent valleys. Your index finger's top knuckle is Jerusalem and Bethlehem is the next knuckle (middle finger). Another fun place that you may recognize is the Elah Valley (in between middle and ring finger) where David and Goliath fought. There are more places on the hand, but now when you look at your hand you can picture Israel :)


2. October 30-November 5
SUNDAY: Knesset (Israel parliament building)
MONDAY: Walked around Tzurim valley (right next door) and had a Halloween party which involved dressing up (I dressed as a rancher...a Jolley Rancher), going to a silent movie with a live organist (our branch president), and dance party afterwards!
TUESDAY: Bethlehem Field Trip: Bethlehem University, Tent Restaurant, Church of the Nativity, and Shepherd's field.
WEDNESDAY: Tomb of the Kings (random huge tombs) and some of our boys played basketball against a Palestinian team which I went and supported with some other girls here.
THURSDAY: Studied...took a final...the end
FRIDAY: studied...took another final...then partied that night!
SATURDAY: Church and Garden Tomb


3. This week we had the amazing opportunity to visit Bethlehem University. The students there I admire so much. Some wake up at about 4 am to get to class at 8 because of how long it takes for them to get through security. For us it only took about 10 minutes, but since they are Palestinian, security takes longer for them. Sometimes they can't even get through. The soldier tells them to leave, they're not going through today. Also getting out of the country takes at least 3 months in advance to plan because they have to get permission from the state. Even then they may get rejected or not find out until their plans don't work anymore (I know some college students who decide to leave the country for a few weeks spontaneously). This is just for visiting countries, if they want to live somewhere else, they have to get an invitation from outside the country. So students have pretty much no opportunities outside of Israel, and inside of Israel is tough because of the economy. Also depending on where you were born decides what privileges you get. Inside the West Bank (Bethlehem, Gaza Strip, Ramala, and other areas), these students can't even go outside without getting special permission. If you were born in Jerusalem or outside of the West Bank, you can go in and out of the West Bank pretty much as you please (unless the soldiers don't like you that day). The students are mostly women at the Bethlehem U because usually the men get jobs without needing much education, so if the women want to make a living of their own, they have to go to school and do well. If I remember right, there are 75% girls. I just feel so blessed to have a university nearby, and if I'm late to class or I don't show up, it is really my fault. I'm also grateful to be able to travel pretty much whenever I want if I work hard enough and find the time to do it. I'm able to work anywhere I want, and I don't need an invitation to live anywhere in the world. My life is one huge blessing.

4. Something funny that happened at Shepherd's fields is that we went right before sunset and were having this devotional about what the Shepherd's went through and a little bit about the Savior's birth. Right in the middle of it, this herd of sheep walks right behind us. Our professor then proclaims how he didn't plan any of it, then another herd of sheep walk by maybe 5 minutes later. It was so funny how we are really experiencing the Holy Land with and without having to use our imaginations.

5. Also in the Shepherd's field which was a spectacular view of Bethlehem, we sang Christmas songs and during this time I felt so connected to how the night of Christ's birth was like. It was so peaceful (except for the two instances with the sheep), and the song "Silent Night" was definitely touching because the night was truly silent. We did hear randomly a car and a dog barking, but compared to the hustle and bustle of Jerusalem, Bethlehem was totally the better place to be born. I'm now in the double digits of how many weeks I've been here in the Holy Land, and I can't believe how much I have grown spiritually and intellectually. I just feel so blessed with these types of experiences to know what it was like. Yes, I didn't need to have this study abroad to have a testimony of my Savior, but my testimony has definitely grown because of it. I just don't want to waste a moment the next 6 weeks, so I can be strengthened as much as I can. Love you all!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment