Saturday, October 29, 2011

Week 9: Kristine was in which city last week? A. Ammon B. Philadelphia C. Amman D. Vernal

1. This past week, we went to the country Jordan, and its capital is all the names up above (except Vernal). During Old Testament's times the capital's name was Ammon. Then the Greeks took over the area and renamed it Philadelphia. Afterwards, the Arabs regained control and returned the name to Amman (pronounced "Ammon" so pretty much the same name).
2. October 23-October 29
SUNDAY: Israel Museum and then had a lazy day
MONDAY: Head for Jordan then visited: Mount Nebo (where Abraham saw God and was translated), Madaba, and Machaerus (where John the Baptist was beheaded)
TUESDAY: Petra!!! (watch Indiana Jones 'Last Crusade') then headed to Amman and wandered around
WEDNESDAY: King Abdullah Mosque, Philadelphia Citadel and Museum, Jerash (saw a gladiator fight and the theater there had great acoustics!), Jabbok River (where Jacob saw God and his name changed to Israel), and had a night out on the town of Amman (story later)
THURSDAY: Roman Theater, Jordan River then headed back for the JC
FRIDAY: Classes and made school kits for humanitarian
SATURDAY: Church and Garden Tomb
3. After Turkey, many of us like 2/3 of the JC got sick. It wasn't as big of epidemic after Jordan, but a few students and one of our professors are sick again--super sick. One of the students I have only seen once since we got back. A lot of people had a cough or sniffles, but I was one of the few blessed to be spared. I don't know what happened or why I was saved, but I'm doing great. I've only been sick once this entire semester so far, and I hope it stays that way.
4. There's an intensive BYU Arabic program going on in Amman. So on Wednesday night, many came to our hotel to show us around. A girl was friends with a guy in my group, so she said we would go to this super good and cheap restaurant to try some local food. Well, we headed down and you know how cities are different at night then in the day? Let's just say...we got lost. She kept asking for directions and people kept leading us down different paths it seemed like. But don't worry, Mom, we made it just fine. I just got to experience all of Amman, the super sketch and the ritzy places. The restaurant we went was good, but I don't think I've ever been so nervous when we went for a taxi. Since it took us about 45 minutes to get to the restaurant and we wanted to go to this delicious fruit and ice cream place, we decided to get a taxi. Well, we didn't have enough room for all of us to get into one taxi. I got the group that didn't get into the taxi with the Arabic student. She explained to him where we were going and to put on the meter, but he didn't speak a lick of English. Once we shut the door and started going, I think I was starting to have a panic attack. All these possiblities of getting dropped off at the wrong place and then traveling lost again but this time without a translator were running wildly through my mind. Looking back at this night, it was such an adventure and so funny how freaked out we were at some times, but sooo worth it! You may not think this is funny, but I think it's hilarious :) Oh btw, we got dropped off at the right place with our Arabic student right behind us.
5. We went to the River Jordan, it was not what I was expecting. I don't know what I was expecting, but whatever it was didn't happen. There were places set up, so people could go down to the river and be baptized. Some people were baptizing themselves, and some were just washing themselves. I washed my hands, and it was a cool experience to know that Christ was baptized in the river somewhere along those banks. But it was the experience I had there that was changing me. We sang some songs, our professor gave a little devotional, two students bore their testimonies, and said a prayer together. The Holy Ghost was feeling so strong there. The thoughts I had were about what we talked about in Sabbath School the previous Saturday. In Romans, we talked about baptism and the importance of immersion and I made a connection with baptism a little bit. We are immersed at baptism. Even if one pinky finger is up, we have to redo our baptism. It's like our commitment. We shouldn't just sprinkle our commitment to the Lord, but be completely immersed and committed to following him. (I know, how many times can Kristine use commit and immerse in one paragraph? But I'll do it a little more.) Yes, I know there are times when I fail at being fully committed or immersed to following my Heavenly Father, but he allows me to try again. When I fail, through his grace he lifts me up again and again.
Well, the next two weeks are my finals weeks for most of my classes. Wish me luck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment